It is the oldest street in Zakopane, the entire neighbourhood called the Zakopane's old town, as it boasts a great number of historic wooden houses, the oldest ones dating back to the 19th c. We start our walk at the Old Church, and end it by the Museum of the Zakopane Style (next to the Gąsienica-Sobczak's log-hut)Old Church, The Gąsienicas Chapel, Old Graveyard at the Pęksowy Brzyzek Both the Old Church and the Old Graveyard are freely open to the public, except when the services are being celebrated. The wooden church of Our Lady of Częstochowa was built in 1847. It makes a perfect example of traditional folk architecture. The funds for its construction were donated by the Countess Klementyna Homolacs, so initially St Clement was the church's patron saint. A truly charismatic fr. Józef Stolarczyk was the first parish priest of the Zakopane parish. The three altars, i.e. the central one and the two side ones were carved in mid-19th century by a gifted sculptor from the Podhale region, one Wojciech Kułach-Wawrzyńcok, lovingly nicknamed the "Leonardo da Vinci of Gliczarów". Next to the church is a historic chapel of the Gąsienica family, dating back to early 19th c., i.e. the oldest ecclesiastical structure in Zakopane, and the Old Graveyard at Pęksowy Brzyzek, which boasts the status of one of the most celebrated necropolies in Poland. The turn of the 19th c. was a truly momentous period for Zakopane, when "a small town tucked away at the foothills of Mt Giewont" virtually became the "hub of the world". It was keenly patronised by Poland's cultural elite, even though at the time Poland as a state was stripped of its national sovereignty, having been partitioned off between the three neighbouring powers. Zakopane was not merely an attractive holiday destination for the artists, but a deliberately chosen location where they elected to live and pursue their artistic endeavours, while greedily soaking up the rugged beauty of the Tatras. Many of its prominent representatives happen to be buried here, including Kazimierz Przerwa - Tetmajer, Kornel Makuszyński, Władysław Orkan, Stanisław Witkiewicz, Władysław Hasior. The name plates of the brave WWII Tatra couriers are also featured here, while a great many graves belong to the prominent highlander families, Tatra guides, and members of the Tatra Volunteer Rescue Service (TOPR). The entire graveyard is steeped in history and Tatra legends, its uniquely carved crucifixes and headstones bearing witness to it, imbuing this small plot of land with an invariably unique ambience. Walking further along the Kościeliska street we pass a rather spacious wooden house (to the right) accommodating the "U Wnuka" restaurant, located in one of the oldest structures in Zakopane, dating back to the late 19th c. Then, after a few minutes' walk another spacious house appears to the right, the Villa "Koliba", i.e. one of the most stunning examples of the Zakopane style in architecture.
We start our brief walk on the Tetmajera street, right by the Villa "Opolanka" which accommodates The Kornel Makuszyński Museum.The Kornel Makuszyński Museum, Tetmajera 15 st. Mrs and Mr Makuszyński lived here almost every year while spending their summer and winter holidays in Zakopane, and following WWII they settled here permanently. Many valuable items and Makuszyński's sizable library had perished back in Warsaw during the war. The Museum's present collection is therefore but a fraction of what the writer had assembled during his lifetime. He was an art collector and had many a friend amongst the artists. The museum was established in 1966 from the collections donated by Mrs Janina Gluzińska-Makuszyńska, the writer's widow. The author of 'Matołek the Billy Goat', and a fairy tale about 'The two who stole the moon', or 'Satan from the seventh grade' was socially a most prominent person in Zakopane. Even though he did not pursue any sports himself, he was very much involved and granted his patronage to many organizing committees for the skiing, horse riding, and car rally competitions. Upon his personal initiative, the poorest highlander youth were provided with the skis as gifts. To this very day, every winter The Kornel Makuszyński Memorial called "Matołek the Billy Goat" is held in Zakopane, where almost every highlander kid may take part in the skiing competitions
Oswald Balzer (1858 - 1933), a legal historian, represented the Polish side in a border dispute over the Morskie Oko, which was finally resolved before the court of law in Graz in 1902. We partly owe it to his endeavours at the time so that the most beautiful glacial lake in the Tatras remains within Poland's borders today.
Kuźnice is a part of Zakopane located at the very foothills of the Tatra Mountains, at the elevation of approx. 1,000 m a.s.l. Presently, it is a hub of tourist traffic (a starting point for a number of tourist trails, and the location of the bottom station of the cableway to Mt Kasprowy Wierch). The story of Kuźnice goes all the way back to the 18th c., when iron ore was discovered within the slopes of the adjacent Dolina Jaworzynka valley.
We start our tour at the Dr Andrzej Chramiec roundabout, and then walk uphill along the Chramcówki, Jagiellońska and Dr Tytus Chałubiński streets, all the way up to the pope John Paul II roundabout. Chramcówki - the street took its name from one of the highlander clans. Its most eminent member was Dr Andrzej Chramiec (1859-1939), the first highlander who boasted academic educationand built a hydrotherapy facility in Zakopane. He also served as the first environmental consultant and issued a decree on the mandatory construction of chimneys in the highlanders' huts. At the turn of the 19th c. Dr Chramiec's facility became a hub of cultural and social life in Zakopane. Presently, a local government authority is accommodated there, sharing the premises with The Witkacy Theatre. To access the former hydrotherapy facility one needs to turn left from the Chramcówki street just by the Church of the Divine Mercy.
The Krupówki promenade is Zakopane's showcase street. About 1 km long, in high seasonbrimming with visitors, hikers and backpackers, a perfect place for a leisurely stroll to get one's bearings around the centre of the resort. The name originates from the glade "Krupówki" that once belonged to the Krupa family. By the end of the 19th c. the original wooden houses that made both frontages of the street were gradually crowded out by a diversity of masonry town houses.
We start our walk at the bottom of the Kasprusie street, which branches off Kościeliska street, reaching after 10 min. the villa "Atma" (to our left, slightly in the background).The Karol Szymanowski Museum in Villa Atma, Kasprusie 19 st. In the years 1930-1936, Karol Szymanowski (1882 - 1937), an outstanding Polish composer lived here. The word "atma" means "soul" in Sanskrit. The villa, designed in the Zakopane style, was built in the late 19th c. by Józef Kaspruś - Stoch. Initially, Karol Szymanowski would be regularly come to Zakopane every year and rent a room with a piano in the villa "Limba", as well as in the "Czerwony Dwór" [The Red Court]. When he settled down permanently at the foothills of Mt Giewont, though, he rented villa "Atma" all to himself. The Museum was opened in 1976. Among the prized exhibits are the composer's personal memorabilia and some furnishings used at the time when he occupied the place. In the first room, you can appraise yourself of the genealogy of the Szymanowski family, the composer's life and times, and some of his many travels around Europe and beyond. This is facilitated by a large multimedia touch screen. In the other room, where the artist's bedroom used to be, presently turned into a concert auditorium, the interior is dominated by a piano. Furthermore, the three portraits of Szymanowski by Witkacy, leap to the eye right away. In the dining room, opening directly onto a veranda, you can appreciate some sketches of the costume designs for the Paris premiere of the "Harnasie" opera, authored by Irena Lorentowicz. You might also be interested to know that villa "Atma" is the only biographical museum of Karol Szymanowski in the world. u. Kasprusie 19, Branch of the National Museum in Krakow phone. +48 18 20 200 40 The "Czerwony Dwór" GalleryKasprusie 27 st. phone: +48 661 601 651 The "Czerwony Dwór" was built in the Zakopane style in 1902. Karol Szymanowski used to live here (in a house in the garden, next to the villa), and so did Artur Rubinstein, and Stefan Żeromski. Presently, the venue accommodates an art gallery welcoming regional artists where various temporary exhibitions are regularly held, including paintings on glass or artistic handicrafts. The gallery also serves as a popular venue for various functions and literary meetings. The villa is part of the Zakopane Cultural Centre. We keep on walking further up the Kasprusie street until it gives into the Strążyska street. In its upper stretch, to the right, there is a junction with the Bogdańskiego street, where The Antoni Rząsa Gallery is located (ul. Bogdańskiego 16a). Continuing along the Strążyska street, after another 10 min., we eventually reach its end - directly at the mouth of the Strążyska valley. The Strążyska valley A Sub-Alpine valley cuts right into the very base of the northern face of Mt Giewont. Walking distance along the Kasprusie and Strążyska streets: 4.5 km, approx. 60 min.; from the mouth of the valley - 2 km; approx. 40 min. The mouth of the Strążyska valley opens right into the "Droga pod Reglami" pathway, along which you can continue walking to reach several more valleys. The nearest one is the "Dolina ku Dziurze" valley (about 400 m to the left, facing the south), and then the "Dolina Za Bramką" valley (about 1400 m to the right). A comfortable path leads up along the "Potok Strążyski" stream through the bottom floor of the sub-Alpine forest, offering scenic views of the lime-dolomite rocky outcrops and occasional glimpses of the towering northern face of Mt Giewont. Eventually, we end up at the "Polana Strążyska" glade (formerly used as a sheep pasture) where a small shelter cum tea room is located. Continuing gently uphill, after another 15 min. we come to the bottom of a stunningly beautiful "Siklawica" waterfall, gushing all the way down from the northern face of Mt Giewont.
In fact, this street is a natural extension of the Kościeliska and Skibówki streets, also serving as a major exit thoroughfare from Zakopane in the westerly direction, towards Kościelisko, Chochołów and Czarny Dunajec. Its name comes from one of the prominent highlander clans - Krzeptowski. This is where Jan Krzeptowski Sabała used to live, but also many other members of this clan, working mostly as the Tatra guides.
The length of the walk along the Gubałówka ridge: 2.5 km, walking time: about 30 minutes. The entire tour, including a downhill chairlift ride from the summit of Butorowy Wierch, takes approx. 1 hour. 30 minutes. We start our tour trip at the junction of Kościeliska street and the bottom part of the Krupówki promenade, heading north towards the bottom station of the Gubałówka funicular railway (using a subway passage). Our route leads through a regional open air market sprawling at the bottom of theGubałówka hillside. This makes a perfect opportunity for sampling oscypek, bundz, redykołka and other regional specialties, as well as to have a look at great abundance of folk handicrafts. Eventually we end up at the entrance to the bottom station of a funicular railway. We can make it all the way to the Gubałówka ridge in just 3.5 min., or alternatively hike our way uphill along the railway track within approx. 1 hour.
Harenda District from Zakopane center is accessible by public bus and on foot from Krupówki: around 4 km, 1 hour walk. Situated on Zakopane outskirts, on the bottom of Gubałówka. A first district to be passed when arriving at Zakopane from Poronin side.