Located in Mała Polanka Ornaczańska, in upper part of Kościeliska Valley in Western Tatras, at 1100 MASL, the shelter is surrounded by forest complex under strict protection. From its windows we get a wide view on Kominiarski Wierch, Bystra, Błyszcz. The shelter is an excellent starting point to whole Western Tatras, especially Czerwone Wierchy ridge, Ornak Ridge and Starobociański Wierch. Through Iwanicka Pass it's a quick passage to Chochołowska Valley. It's also possible to depart from shelter for Kościeliska Valley caves exploration: Mylna, Mroźna, Raptawicka, or to arrive at mystic world of legends that is a scenery of Wąwóz Kraków. Other than this, a short walk to Smreczyński Pond, a true Western Tatra jewel, because of its situation and beautiful surroundings. Beautiful Tomanowa Clearing is a next nearby trail which we can choose for a quick hike from the shelter. There certainly will be lots of colorful landscape distance, and thanks to relaxing atmosphere of calm silence, we can take our ideal rest there.
History The first touristic object on Kościeliska Valley was touristic bower made by Tatra Society in 1875 by Lodowe Źródło next to Stare Kościeliska glade. The second Tatra Society bower was built on Smytnia Clearing in 1892, beside Wincenty Pol cross. The third, in 1896, on Smreczyński Pond edge. Unfortunately, over the years, every single one of them was destroyed. In 1909, a large shepherd hut on Pyszna Clearing was leased by TT Ski Section from Count Zamoyski Goods Management, and became the first tourist shelter. It was rebuilt in years 1910-1911. After that it was renovated few times. During World War II it gave shelter to soviet partisans and Tatra Couriers on their route to Hungary. The shelter was destroyed in 1945 during partisans fight with Germans. After Mała Polana Ornaczańska fight, a shelter that serves tourists to this day was built. It's a beautiful object, kept in neozakopane style, designed by Anna Górska. The shelter was built in years 1947-1948 and was officially inauguratedon august 8 1948. In 1973 it was named after Walery Goetel, with his memorial board exposed in shelter. Walery Goetel was a nature protector, PTT chairman, and later PTTK Mountain Tourism Comitee.
Currently On ground-floor part of the shelter is a wooden dining hall, buffet, reception and a kitchen connected to food serving. Wood lit fireplace, next to it a stylish bar, which gives tourists an unusuall mood, atmoshpere and helps them understand older Kościeliska Valley – silver and metal ore mine and treasure hunters spot.
Shelter offers: - free boiling water - wet clothing dryer - backpack deposit - internet info kiosk - phone charger
Buffet It is possible to get whole-day feeding in shelter. Dishes are prepared on place. To cook own meals, visitors can use tourist kitchen.
Routes - Green trail – on foot to shelter from Kiry by the bottom of Kościeliska Valley in around 1 hour 30 minutes or by highlander horse cab (sled in winter) to Pisana Clearing, from where it takes 30 minutes on foot. - Green trail – from Kiry to shelter, and further to Tomanowa Valley and Tomanowa Branching, to Chuda Przełączka and Ciemniak in Czerwone Wierchy. Walk from Kiry to shelter takes around 1 hour 40 minutes, 1 hour 30 minutes back. Walk from shelter to Tomanowa Branching takes around 1 hour 30 minutes, 1 hour 10 minutes back. - Yellow trail – through Wielka Polana Ornaczańska and Iwanowska Valley to Iwaniacka Pass. Time: around 1 hour 15 minutes, 50 minutes back. - Black trail – to Smreczyński Pond – around 30 minutes, 20 minutes back.