The shelter was built in years 1921-1925 by PTT Tatra Branch. Opening was held on july 12th 1925. It's situated on Tatra National Park territory, in Sucha Woda Gąsienicowa Valley, at 1500 MASL. Gąsienicowa Hall region is known for its beautiful, alpine tourist trails for advanced climbers (for example Orla Perć, Kościelec, Kozi Wierch, Świnica), as well as recreational trails (Kasprowy Wierch, Liliowe Pass, Black Pond Gąsienicowy) and climbing paths. In winter, the shelter area serves as an excellent ski base (Kasprowy Wierch slopes, chairlifts in Kocioł Gąsienicowy) and gives possibility of alpine skiing. Murowaniec invites for the duration of whole year.
History "Murowaniec" shelter was created in years 1921-1925 mainly thanks to Stanisław Osiecki, the Polish Tatra Society Warsaw Branch chairman and Sejm Deputy Speaker (memorial board from 1969). First building sketches “from raw, huge rocks outside” were drawn by architect Jan Witkiewicz from Koszyce in 1914. Final project was made by Zdzisław Kalinowski and Karol Siciński.
The shelter was built by Polish Army. Following subdivisions were engaged in construction: - detached alpine company platoon of 3rd Podhale rifleman regiment - detached company of 5th sapper regiment, which built road from Brzeziny to Gąsienicowa Hall, 1200 m length and 2,5 m width. - detached platoon if 1st rail sapper regiment from Cracov, which built cableway to Gąsienicowa Hall, used to deliver rock and sand to build the shelter.
- detached platoon of 1st Podhale rifleman regiment from Nowy Sącz, which built the shelter.
On sunday 12 july 1925 was a ceremonial opening of the shelter. Inaugaration was performed by president Stanisław Wojciechowski, in presence of marshall of the Senate, Wojciech Trampczyński, general Mariusz Zaruski and others. In years 1950 – 1951 the western wing was added and interiors were redone, enlarging the object to its current size. In a year 1963 the shelter surivived partial burning. It was rebuilt in the following year, without the famous "Trumna" attic. Since 1983 the shelter manager was Andrzej Kusion, GOPR and TOPR rescuer, who conducted building modernisation. At the shelter entrance hung a board in memory of polish poet, Adam Asnyk, embedded in 1929, revealed in 1930. There was a project in 1927, which envisioned cramming it into one of the rocks near Morskie Oko.
Currently In the area surrounding Hala Gąsienicowa Shelter, Central Training Facility PZA "Betlejemka" is located, among others.
Shelter offers: - restaurant - buffet - free boiling water - bathrooms with hot water - credit card charge - board games accessibility - guitar rental - mountain library - free WI-FI - ski/luggage storage - tourist gear repair point - cloth drying point - weather forecast
Accommodation Shelter has 116 accommodations in rooms for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 and 12-people.
Routes There is a large knot of trails next to the shelter: - Blue trail - to Kuźnice through Boczań, Skupniów Upłaz and Przełęcz between Kopy to „Murowaniec”, from there further into Czarny Staw Gąsienicowy and Zawrat, It takes around 2 hours to get from Kuźnice to "Murowanniec" and 2 hours 20 minutes from "Murowaniec" to Zawrat., 1 hour. 50 minutes back. - Yellow and blue trail- from Kopy Pass the yellow trail leads through Jaworzynka Valley. It takes around 2 hours to get from Kuźnice to Murowaniec. 1 hour 35 minutes back. - Black trail- to Oswald Balzer Route in Brzeziny through Psia Trawka (6,4 km), around 1 hour 45 minutes and 2 hours 15 minutes back. - Green trail-to Wierchporoniec through Rówień Waksmundzka, Gęsia Szyja and Rusinowa Polana, takes around 3 hours 50 minutes, 4 hours 15 minutes back. - Yellow trail- from Kasprowy Wierch through Roztoka Stawiańska to „Murowaniec”, from there by Pańszczyca Valley to Krzyżne Pass, takes around 1 hour and 1 hour 25 minutes back to get from Kasprowy Wierch to "Murowaniec". From "Murowaniec" to Krzyżne: 2 hours 45 minutes, 2 hours back.
Schronisko „Murowaniec” jest wygodnym i popularnym punktem początkowym do przejścia najtrudniejszego tatrzańskiego szlaku – Orlej Perci, na którą można wejść od przełęczy Krzyżne (żółty szlak) albo jednym z kilku odcinków łącznikowych od Czarnego Stawu Gąsienicowego, do którego prowadzi niebieski szlak.