Stanisław Witkiewicz settled in Zakopane in 1890. The painter, architect and art theorist was captivated by the beauty of the highland cottages and the colourful, local folk tradition. He created and popularised the Zakopane Style, which is a combination of traditional Podhale construction and folk art with elements of Art Nouveau. Come and visit the best examples of the Zakopane Style.
VILLA KOLIBA, ul. Kościeliska 18
The first house in the Zakopane Style, which was built in 1892-1894. Designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz and built by local carpenters Józef Kasprus Stoch and Maciej Gąsienica Józkowy, for the Ukrainian landowner Zygmunt Gnatowski. The main beams were created by the outstanding Zakopane sculptor Wojciech Brzega. The house exterior and interior are faithful to the main canons of Stanisław Witkiewicz’s style, and are the epitome of the Zakopane style. Since 1993, it has housed the Stanisław Witkiewicz Museum of the Zakopane Style.
HOUSE “POD JEDLAMI”, Droga na Koziniec 1
The second house designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz, built in 1897 for Jan Gwalbert Pawlikowski. It is the largest building in the Zakopane style, with perfect proportions and beautiful embellishments. Among others, the poet Maria Pawlikowska Jasnorzewska lived here with her husband Jan Pawlikowski. The House “Pod Jedlami” can only be observed from outside (still private property).
VILLA OKSZA, ul. Zamoyski 25
This building is the third by Stanisław Witkiewicz, built in the years 1895-1896 for the Kossakowski family. The house has changed owners several times, in the 1920s it served as a "Care Home for Young Learners”. During World War II the School of Commerce moved to Oksza from Kuźnice. After the war, the building housed a preventorium for children and adolescents. In 2011, Oksza was restored. Currently, a Gallery of 20th-Century Art, a branch of the Tatra Museum.
VILLA RIALTO, ul. Chałubińskiego 5
The original, wooden structure has been plastered and only the ornaments and the shape of the building, reminiscent of its noble origins, have been retained. One of the first buildings in the Zakopane Style, designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz, and built in 1897-1898 for Teresa Zagórska. This housed the first Zakopane sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. The building can only be seen from the outside.
VILLA KONSTANTYNÓWKA, ul. Jagiellońska 18
It was built in 1900 and designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz. Before World War I it was owned by Aniela Zagórska, cousin of Joseph Conrad, who lived here in 1914. Visitors here also included Józef Piłsudski, Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz, Stefan Żeromski and Tymon Niesiołowski, who had his painting studio here. Currently the Konstantynówka houses a restaurant.
CHAPEL OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS, Jaszczurówka
Built between 1904-1908. The wooden chapel is situated on a high foundation, and the roof is covered with shingles. Above the main entrance there is a small chapel of the Pensive Christ (older than the chapel). The interior, also designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz, is characterised by simplicity and economy. The carved wooden altar takes the form of a mountain hut.
JOHN THE BAPTIST CHAPEL – Church of the Holy Family, ul. Krupówki 1
The chapel dates from 1899, and every detail was designed by Stanisław Witkiewicz. It is among Zakopane’s most valuable historic buildings. The oil painting at the altar by Witkiewicz presents John the Baptist on the background of the Gąsienicowy Black Pond. The church houses many other items designed by Witkiewicz (including the altar in the chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, the confessionals, the doors, benches and stained glass).